Richmond is one of the oldest of Tasmanian towns. It is most famous for its bridge, built in 1823, the oldest stone bridge remaining in Australia. However, there are other attractions as well. The town also has the oldest surviving gaol in the country, built in 1825. It has its original Courthouse, public buildings and churches. St. Luke’s Church was started in 1834, while St. John’s Church, started in 1836, claims to be the oldest Catholic church in the country. All are interesting buildings.
There are rides available in a horse-drawn carriage. There are art galleries and shops full of antiques and craft products. There are cafés, old-time bakeries, restaurants, and homely bed and breakfast accommodation.
Amongst the more modern attractions, there is a maze and there is the Old Hobart Town Historical Model Village, based on historical records of how Hobart looked in the 1820s. This Model Village, which took three years to construct, has sixty buildings and 400 figurines. Bridge Street, Richmond.
There is also Zoo Doo Fun Park, although this is six kilometres outside the town. Here one can find alpacas, llamas, buffalo and camels, as well as miniature pony races, with jockeys, of a type. There are also an indoor working model village and a merry-go-round.
Accommodation is readily available in Richmond, but the town is only 24 kilometres from Hobart, so can easily be seen as a day trip.
Click here for a Richmond map.